ABOUT THE HISTORIC ITALIAN HALL
The Historic Italian Hall was built between 1907-08, during which time the El Pueblo area comprised the core of city's Italian Quarter. The Italian Hall served as the cultural and social center for the community where events such as weddings, meetings and dances were held. Today, the Historic Italian Hall is one of the oldest surviving structures in Los Angeles built specifically for Italian occupancy.
The Inception of the Museum Project
The historic significance of the Italian Hall became evident to the staff of El Pueblo Historic Monument in the course of preparing the Historic Structures Report requested by the State of California in 1988-89. As a result, a group was organized to secure use of the facility and to raise funds to develop a museum. The Historic Italian Hall Foundation was incorporated in 1993, and in 1998, as a non-profit organization it was granted a 501(c)3 exemption.
The Mission of the Historic Italian Hall Foundation
To foster a greater understanding of Southern California's diverse heritage through research, historic preservation, exhibits and educational programs that examine the history and continuing contributions of Italian Americans in multi-ethnic Los Angeles.
The Historic Italian Hall Museum is cooperatively developed and operated by the Historic Italian Hall Foundation (HIHF) and El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument. The HIHF, is a charitable, non-profit corporation that acts as a support group and community link for the museum, raising money through grants, corporate contributions individuals and organizations. For more information, please visit the
Italian Hall Museum.